Monday, November 1, 2010

Winning for the First Time

Hi,

I know its been ages since i wrote anything, but well at least i have not given up. Recently i won the Best GET of the Year in Reliance Tech Services. I tried to reflect back on my old times at school and college but cant remember anything i Won, which was so unique and outstanding. So i am still pondering on how and why did i win this award.
Let me start by saying that most of the work in my office is basically handled by the youth brigade and so obviously i had the opportunity of diving straight into good hard core GIS related work. I learnt a lot under the very able guidance of my Mentor, Mr. Vijay Chopade. All the Quality Assurance i have successfully implemented is thanks to this person who has been my, friend, mentor, teacher and also the person who believed in me. I eventually completed 30% of QA single handedly towards the end of project. After this i ascended into the throne of Development. I know it is quite strange, how can someone directly receive the throne of Development but here again Luck and Courage helped me. Most of the Developers were leaving the company in my department for better and brighter opportunities. This left a very wide hole in the development team in the department. I just needed the nod of one person, My Mentor, and thats it i jumped into Development, having absolutely zero knowledge of what exactly was I suppose to do. But as you know the rest is history and i was awarded beyond my belief.
Now, all this is fine, but what i am still not able to understand is, if i always had this calibure in me then why i was not able to display it earlier?? was it coz i probably got easy opportunities or was i lucky? this seems quite a easy way to criticize me, but it still is quite baffling for me to grasp the paradox of my present circumstances. I pondered on this a lot and eventually came to a very strange and weird conclusion.
Now that i have won the so called best best... obviously i have brains and hard-work backing me. Question is why did this not help me earlier? I have brains, since every college and school that i had gone to, every teacher had said this. So probably i was lacking in hard-work, but y? why did i work so hard in the company and not in school or college? Is it becoz now i get paid? No, then i would have already started my own business. no its definitely not money. Then? Probably its the Mentor, that i lacked, throughout my school and college life. Suddenly I realize the importance of a Mentor. It is so easy to forget someone who has helped you solely becoz he felt good about it. He supported you when you could not stand, he guided you becoz he saw lost New Joinee and also made you laugh when you felt there was no happiness left. Yes, a mentor is who changes your life and gives you the proper path to have your own vision and will to achieve it. I will be always in-debt to Vijay Sir.
Now you will ask me, how did he teach me coding, since he was not in Development? True, but he always gave me a boost to move on and subdued my fears. I met another great person, 'Mr Arif Ali Baig', who gave me insights into GIS Application Development. it is truly amazing, when you are exposed to the unlimited opportunities in life, which help you satiate your hunger for learning. This gentlemen gave me the look of GIS which i was not aware of, but now i can say i have made my foot hold really strong in this domain as well.
Ultimately, it all comes down to two things in life, your passion and will to achieve it. You like something, you must always strive to achieve it and not be bogged down by some hurdle which is inconsequential in front of your dream. Because as Henry Ford said "Obstacles are those things you see, when you take your eyes of your goal". Keep your mind focused on your passion and DREAM as much as possible, coz only dreamers can transform fantasy into reality. So enjoy life and all the best.

No comments: